Tuesday, November 20, 2012

IKEA Assembly Party

I mentioned in a post a few weeks ago that Baby is the proud owner of a new IKEA dresser. And then we saw it in the Lady to Baby post in two (ridiculously heavy) boxes.

As of Sunday, it looks like this.


I must say I'm quite impressed with this little assembly job and admit it was daunting to unpack those hefty boxes and see all the big and small pieces. But this is where dads shine and moms stand by and I totally have to give Aaron all the credit for this thing 1. getting done 2. standing upright and 3. functioning properly (the drawers even open!!). He has far more patience than me for doing things like sorting pieces, reading instructions, and double checking accuracy. Ugh. Apparently "close enough" is not his approach to this sort of thing ... thank goodness!


These pictures don't do justice to how many pieces there were. But note in both pictures Aaron is reading the instructions. Good thing I had a camera in my hand otherwise I would have been tearing something up with an alan wrench making everything worse than it already was.

 
Here he is getting down to business. Millie is supervising but looks a little depressed for not being able to be more useful.
 
 
Nothing is broken yet since he's been keeping me out of the way!
 

 
Getting there ...
 
Drawer assembly takes place in the living room so he can keep one eye on the Packer game. I feel I actually served a small purpose here (unlike getting the frame of this thing put together). Drawers were manageable once Aaron told me what to do and I just had to repeat it 8 times for all the drawers.
 
 
 
And so, voila! Baby has a dresser that will double as a changing table. We are nerdily excited about the height of this guy. It comes in at a strong 38" so we won't be doubled over in pain trying to wrangle the little munchkin who will presumably wiggle and kick plenty during changing time. I had wanted to find an old dresser on Craigslist to refinish instead of giving in to IKEA, but everything we found was low and just not what we wanted. And...let's be honest. With trim painting just wrapped up, I wasn't doing cartwheels over the idea of  another painting project. The assembly of this was hands on enough.
 
 


 

2 comments:

  1. Could you please send Aaron over when we finally buy furniture that needs to be assembled? I am the detail-oriented member of the family, and obviously it will be getting hard for me to put these things together. :)
    Love love love your blog and pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice and lovely blog. IKEA assembly products are well known for their sophistication and elegance.

    ReplyDelete